Refer to the Columbia Sportswear Annual Report in Appendix A. You will need to find and then read the following reports:
• Management’s Report on the Consolidated Financial Statements (Item 8)
• Report of Independent Registered Public Accounting Firm on Consolidated Financial Statements (Item 8)
• Management’s Report on Internal Control Over Financial Reporting (Item 9A)
• Report of Independent Registered Public Accounting Firm on Internal Control over Financial Reporting (Item 9A)
1. Who is responsible for the information in the annual report? Who is responsible for recommending the independent accountants to the board of directors?
2. Who were the independent auditors? Under what standards did they conduct their audit? What was their opinion of the audited financial statements?
3. Who is responsible for establishing and maintaining adequate internal control over financial reporting? Is the effectiveness of the internal controls ever reviewed? Do you think that internal control procedures are necessary? Why?
4. Do the auditors have any responsibility with respect to the internal controls? What was the auditor’s opinion regarding the management assessment of internal con- trol effectiveness?
NOTE: Go beyond the textbook and search for articles on The Sarbanes Oxley (Section 404). Include what you’ve learned from your research in your response to the above questions.
Kemp, Robert, Jeffrey Waybright. Financial Accounting, 4th Edition. Pearson, 2017. [p. 289].
Due by Wednesday at 11:55pm.