Identify a family who is either 1) currently a single-parent family or 2) part of a remarried family.
Interview the entire family together, using the following prompts:
- How long have you been in this life cycle stage (insert appropriate life cycle stage here)?
- What were or have been some of the most difficult times of this stage?
- How have you been able to navigate the difficult times successfully?
- What would you share with a novice therapist about your situation that might help him or her with future clients?
Summarize the answers to the interview in a 3 page document, adding in your analysis of the following prompts:
- How does this family fit the classic presentation of this stage?
- What issues of diversity and context (e.g., age, ability, ethnicity, class, gender, etc.) are present in this family and how do those pieces inform their fit in this stage?
- Assuming this family presented to your clinic, what theory from the Spiritual Resources in Family Therapy text would you use with them and why?