Geriatrics OTC Medication Use
- Review the American Geriatrics Society article and interactive media piece in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Select one of the following over-the-counter drugs commonly
used by geriatric patients:
- Antacids or acid suppressants
- Antimicrobial ointments
- Antispasmodics for the bladder
- Cough suppressants
- Neutraceuticals (choose one; e.g., ginseng, St. John’s wart, etc.)
- Pain medications (choose one; e.g., acetaminophen, ibuprofen, rub-on pain ointments/patches, etc.)
- Supplements (choose one; e.g., calcium, iron, etc.)
- Vaginal creams
- Research the over-the-counter drug you selected. Visit a local pharmacy and explore the types/varieties of the drug that are available. Reflect on the ingredients in each type/variety, including additional active ingredients.
- Consult with the pharmacist about the ingredients in each type/variety, including how to make safe and effective clinical decisions in relation to this drug. Discuss potential interactions in frail elders and precautions related to the drug based on Beers Criteria. If one is available, you may consult with a pharmacist at your practicum site as an alternative to visiting a pharmacy.
- Consider ways to educate elders about the OTC drug you selected.
By Day 5
Post a PowerPoint presentation that addresses the following:
- Describe the over-the-counter drug that you selected.
- Identify the types/varieties of the drug that are available. Describe the ingredients in each type/variety including additional active ingredients.
- Explain the key information that you need to know about this OTC drug to make safe and effective clinical decisions. Include potential interactions in frail elders and describe any precautions related to the drug based on Beers Criteria.
- Explain how you would educate elders about the OTC drug you selected.
Save your time – order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlines
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.