Cultural Variations and Beliefs About Play
In this discussion, you will explore how culture affects children’s play, development and personality. Cultural factors related to play allow children to develop physically, mentally, and emotionally within a cultural context. Play teaches children many valuable lessons including how to:
- be culturally sensitive,
- work in multicultural groups,
- appreciate diversity,
- increase awareness of their culture.
For this discussion, please read “The changing face of the United States: The influence of culture on early child development” (Mashinot, 2008) in addition to your weekly guidance.
Initial Post: For your initial post you can create a word document or a multimedia presentation (power point or prezi) in which you:
- Compare and contrast two or more cultural groups.
- Discuss the anticipated impact cultural norms can have on play.
- Explain how culture and ethnicity impact language and cognitive development as it relates to play.
- Summarize your beliefs about play cross-culturally. How has your understanding of culture been “expanded” by this week’s course content?