This course focuses on identifying types of conflicts and resolving conflicts through effective communication techniques. Your Final Paper will be an eight-to ten-page paper (excluding the APA title and reference pages) that will showcase what you learned about conflict and conflict resolution.
Identify a recent interpersonal, group, or organizational conflict that you were involved in and was later resolved. Select five of the topics listed below and discuss how they apply to your chosen conflict. You must use a minimum of five resources to help support your discussion of these topics. Be sure to focus on communication techniques that were used during the conflict management process. Argue whether the resolution to this conflict was a “best practices” approach to resolving this conflict.
Your paper must include an introduction paragraph that provides a high-level overview of your paper. In addition, your paper must include a strong conclusion paragraph that brings together the topics discussed. Remember not to introduce any new topics in your conclusion.
Conflict Topics for the Final Paper (select five)
- Why does conflict occur?
- Conflict management
- The positive and negative effects of conflict
- Role of personality types in conflict management
- Communication techniques
- Ethics and workplace conflicts
- Climate in a conflict situation
- Stress and anger
- Mediation and arbitration
Writing the Final Paper
The Final Paper:
- Must be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the APA checklist (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use at least five scholarly resources, including a minimum of two from the Ashford University Library.
- Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Common APA Citations (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. page in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Please note that if you are a Communications Studies major, this assignment will be an element in your graduation portfolio. If you have not set up your portfolio yet, you may do so by selecting Portfolium from the menu in your classroom on the left-hand side. If you have set up your portfolio, you can access it the same way. You will be working with your portfolio extensively in the Communications capstone course, COM480. If you are a Communications Studies major, please add this paper to your portfolio. Other students are not required to do this. View the Portfolium tutorial for guidance.
For your reference, these are the elements that are required to be included in your portfolio:
- COM101 Week 1 assignment “Perspective on Communication” and Final Paper “Personal Communication Skills Assessment”
- COM223 Final Paper “Persuasive Campaign for Online Education”
- COM325 Final Paper (This Paper)
- COM345 Final Project
- COM355 Final Paper “The Future of Communication Technology”
- COM370 Week 1 assignment “Personal Cultural Profile” and Final Project “Oral History Interview”
- COM425 Final Paper
- SPE103 A speech of your choice from the class